I wanted to create a site for friends and family to follow the story of my surrogacy adventure. This way, I can keep everyone up to date for those who are interested in praying for our journey through this amazing experience. Thank you for your love and support!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

We passed!!!

As I mentioned in my last post, we had two major tests yesterday that would determine if we could proceed with the surrogacy. First, we went in for an ultrasound of my uterus. Kimberly and Davison respectfully stayed in the lobby for this process. It went extremely well compared to what I had been imagining. I will say a little note here to "female doctors": (guys-skip to next paragraph) Please do NOT tell your patient to put her feet in the stirrups until you are ready to perform the examination. I had to lie in that position yesterday for a good five minutes, completely mortified, while she discussed holiday meals with the nurse. I'm sorry, but it's not a good time to discuss turkey and dressing. Other than that, the procedure lasted 5-10 minutes and was relatively painless.

The first thing the doctor said when examining my internal makeup on the screen was that I had a "beautiful uterus, but that I probably knew that already." I told her I did not know that and was very relieved to hear this information. In fact, I almost cried right then and there because one of my biggest fears about offering to be a surrogate was that I would get Kimberly and Chris's hopes up, only to find out my body was not equipped for pregnancy. I feel that they have had their dream of having a baby crushed so many times, I wasn't sure if I could take doing that to them another time. I closed my eyes on the examining table while she continued to probe around, and held back tears while I thanked God repeatedly for this incredible news. When the procedure was done, I went out into the lobby and hugged Kimberly and told her that the doctor said our uterus was beautiful.

Davison and I then headed to the psychologist appointment. I again was nervous, because I do not have the best mental health history. As many of you know, I suffered from depression for two years during my stint at law school. My family also does not have a great physical or mental health record. I was very open and honest about all of this. The psychologist was very easy to talk to and it wasn't at all the painful awkward event I was expecting. As always, Davison lightened the mood with his silly comments. He has been incredibly supportive and solid for me throughout this whole experience and I fall more in love with him everyday.

At the end of the second meeting with all four of us, the doctor told us she saw no reasons that the surrogacy process should not continue and she wished us the best of luck with it. Now that the preliminary tests are out of the way, there will most likely be a few weeks of downtime with the process and then things should pick up full force.

Today is Kimberly's birthday so we had a mini celebration yesterday at a greek restaurant with strawberry ice cream cake afterward. We really had a lot to celebrate when I think about how smoothly things have gone so far. We were all pretty physically and emotionally exhausted with all the excitement yesterday. I cried on the way home just because it had been such an emotional day and thanked Day for all of his amazing understanding. I put my head on his shoulder as he drove home and finally allowed myself to relax. I cannot say it enough...I am blessed beyond comprehension.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome Jerri. I am excited for you and your journey. Take care!

    ReplyDelete