I wanted to create a site for friends and family to follow the story of my surrogacy adventure. This way, I can keep everyone up to date for those who are interested in praying for our journey through this amazing experience. Thank you for your love and support!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just another day in the life of a surrogate...uterus ultrasounds and expensive therapy exploring the scars of my childhood.

Quick Update:

Friday I will go back to the fertility clinic to have an ultrasound of my uterus. Okay, if any guys are reading this, you may want to stop at this point. Apparently there is strict method of how this works there. I have to go on the 3rd day of my period, which is kind of difficult since the clinic is in Columbia and I'm in Greenville. I can't just stop by on my lunch break for them to check out my babymaking organs and send me on my way. It was pretty funny trying to schedule this appointment, because I was not 100 percent sure when that third day would be. Not wanting to wait until the last minute to make an appointment, I called and said, "I think it will be this date but there's no way to know for sure, should I go ahead and set up a time and call back if it doesn't work out?" Her response (which sounded obvious after she said it) was that I would need to call back on the first day so they would know for sure. And guess what? God was amazing and He planned it so that the day I would need the ultrasound was the same day I had already scheduled to be in Columbia for our "interview" with the psychologist. (Yes, I believe that God planned my period so I wouldn't have to miss two days of work or make two trips to Columbia in the same week. He's so cool like that.)

So I will be getting my first uterus ultrasound this Friday and I'm kind of nervous. I, in all my naivete, thought it was just like the ultrasound you see on tv. They rub gel on your belly and slide this instrument around and you see it on the screen. However, Kimberly told me about a very different type of ultrasound where there insert an instrument inside me to "take pictures." I'm really hoping that's not the kind of ultrasound I'm getting on the third day of my period. That will be highly uncomfortable and awkward for me and the doctor I would imagine. And I don't think I'll let Davison come in the room for that.

Now that I have grossed you all out, let me tell you about my other appointment that day. It will be with a very well paid psychologist who specializes in surrogacy. She met with Chris and Kim for two hours on Monday and asked them all about their family history and tough questions about complications that may arise with the surrogacy. She even asked if they had thought about how they would handle it if I died during this process! She had them crying! So I'm super nervous. Davison and I will meet with her for two hours and then we will meet with her for another two hours (in the same day) with all four of us together. Couples counseling with another couple--yet another one of the many firsts I get to experience! I will definitely let you all know how it goes.

Now back to gross stuff. Kimberly told me today that Chris had informed her that he would not be watching the baby being born. He said it would make him uncomfortable and most likely make me and Davison uncomfortable as well. Bless his soul!! It was definitely something I had thought about but decided it was going to be his decision since it is his child and I would get over my modesty and selfishness for the sake of a father and his newborn. Heck, I told Davison I didn't want him watching our own child being born (which he is not buying-but I think it's a valid argument since I don't get to watch either). Needless to say, I'm relieved. I was also very relieved when Kim told me there would be no videotaping or pictures taken of the birthing process. I did not want that showing up on youtube one day. Gross.

Also I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet but this whole procedure is costing Chris and Kim over $20,000. Being a young couple, they do not have this kind of money lying around. They have created a website -- http://www.lifelonggift.com/ --in order to allow friends and family to contribute to this amazing process. So far I think they have raised around $3,500!!! If you have any rich friends or family, please send them to the website. There is an AWESOME video about Kimberly's childhood battle with cancer that shows more of her story. And there are several pictures of her and Chris and I think you can tell from their sweet smiles just how great they are and why I fell in love with them instantly.

Well it's getting late, but I did want to let you guys know what's going on because I do SO VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's support and prayers. You guys are awesome and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment